The Norwegian American Methodist Episcopal Church was established in the early 1850’s and was called Heart Prairie Methodist Episcopal Church. The church was built by a settlement of Norwegian immigrants from the parish of Holla in Telemark, Norway. According to early church records, on June 26, 1853 Christopher Steenson donated a portion of his farmland to establish a church cemetery.
Reverend Christian Willerup, circuit rider out of Cambridge, Wisconsin, was the first minister. Later the congregation was served by Reverend Christopher Steenson and his son Reverend Steen Steenson, who became a missionary to Norway.
Two church ledgers exist from the 1850’s with information noting births and deaths of those in the congregation, and information regarding meeting details. Earliest entries are in Norwegian and later entries are in Norwegian and English.
A Historical plaque was presented through the efforts of descendants of the first members of the church. A dedication ceremony was held Aug 9, 1992.
The church was last used around 1920.
East Richmond Cemetery Association
On August 15, 1907 a meeting was called at the office of attorney James G. Kestol to establish a cemetery association. Because no quorum was present the meeting was adjourned until August 22, 1907. Officers were elected, and the association was given the name North East Richmond Cemetery Association. Needed improvements for the cemetery were identified during the meeting. Over the past 100 years records show that the name of the cemetery changed to Lyman Cemetery and later to East Richmond Cemetery. In 2007 a newly organized cemetery association was established and the name East Richmond Cemetery Association was formally adopted.